Friday, April 28, 2006

Cypripedium parviflorum var. parviflorum



This is the small yellow lady's slipper, one of the grandest of all wildflowers, a North American native orchid. This little beauty is only 6" tall and the flower is about 2.5" across. It has a pleasant, rosy fragrance. Best of all, it's easy to grow in the garden, provided you have a quality, nursery-grown plant that is not wild-collected. Later in the year I'll post complete culture guidlines on my three most highly recommended lady's slipper species and hybrids for the temperate gardener, as well as a list of quality sources in Canada, the US, and the UK. This particular plant is not my first parviflorum; I spotted it at my local source yesterday and I just can't resist the temptation. It cost me $25 CAN! For now, it will remain in my coldframe until last frost (May 7 in my area).

No comments: