Friday, May 12, 2006

Cypripedium parviflorum var. pubescens




Here are my three large yellow lady's slippers. These are the larger form of the one I posted a couple weeks ago, growing to 16" tall and with flowers up to 4" across. They are by far the easiest of the lady's slipper species to grow and the most vigorous, and I find them awesome garden plants. These are just beginning to leaf out now, as they always do in my area. The single-shooted one I bought last year; it is (was) much larger than the others at 16" tall and with a 4" flower, but doesen't seem to want to multiply just yet. It is growing in 70% shade in my shady border. The quad-shooted one was my very first successful lady's slipper, in its third year in my garden. It started out in 2004 with two shoots and one flower. Last year it had 4 shoots and three flowers. This year looks about the same. It's growing in half shade under a tree. The many-shooted one has nine shoots. I bought it last fall at a plant sale completely dormant; I checked it out to make sure it was healthy and bought it; I got it for $20 reg. $40! It looked like it had 4 or 5 shoots last year and should bloom for the first time this year (it might've bloomed last year; it was hard to tell). It's growing with my new parviflorum under a spruce tree in half shade. I'm guessing 3-5 flowers.

No comments: