Saturday, May 06, 2006

Early Spring Shopping 1




This weekend I am doing some early spring perennial shopping. In my area most gardeners consider it a sin to buy anything before the Victoria Day long weekend at the end of the month because the weather is so unpredictable up to that point but people don't realize how hardy most perennials really are and I daresay are ridiculously scared and even anal-retentive about the whole thing; the truth is that unless you have something rated hardy to 2 zones above yours or more (plants that you dig up in the fall), it is possible to harden them off and plant them right after last frost (May 7 here). And I have proof: I've done this the past 3 years and not one of these plants has died or suffered injury. Anyway, this first plant is a HUGE white bleeding heart (Dicentra spectabilis var. alba) which I am going to use as an edger in a shady border.

No comments: