Sunday, September 24, 2006

Paphiopedilum Parvisepalum Species/Hybrids

I have already passed the level in paph growing where I need to try something new, and my target is Parvis. I have succeeded with Maudiae hybrids, novelties and complex, as well as the species P. insigne. I love parvis, but haven't been able to find any until now. I've finally joined my local orchid society, so my connections have greatly increased. I no longer have to rely on garden centers for orchids; now I can get them from the pros. At my first meeting (where many orchids are sold) I found a Paph. delenatii, a spectacular species with pink and white flowers and my favorite orchid. A previously bloomed plant for $15. As I was examining it and the vendor was ready to sell, a woman came up and said "No sales until one o'clock!". So, I figured I would sort of hang around until then; I walked away for 5 minutes and when I returned the delenatii was gone, and another woman was holding it! That bastard!!! Anyway, though I missed out on that, I still got a bloom-sized Joyce Hasegawa x chamberlainianum. A big multi growth plant for $30. It should bloom within 3 months, and apparently it has big, round flowers in pink or white (multifloral). Just what I like! The leaves are gorgeous - darkly mottled and peppered purple on the undersides. Exciting!

No comments: