Friday, November 02, 2007

Phragmipedium Hanne Popow 'Strawberry Shortcake'


This plant has a bit of a story behind it. When I originally bought this plant last fall, I thought it was a Saint Ouen because of the way the tag was printed, "Phrag besseae x / Hanne Popow". If you look back closer to the front of the blog you'll see a post with a photo of its first flowering when it was purchased. The second blooming is a bit better (on 2 spikes and with better color and form); I've posted photos around the Net and took it to a society meeting where it won best Phrag at the show table (by default though). A member of the Slippertalk forum, who works for Ecuagenera (where I bought the plant) says that it has to be a Hanne Popow because they don't have a permit to export Saint Ouen. he says the tag must have been cut off where it should read "besseae x schlimii / Hanne Popow". Now that I have the ID straight, I've given it a clonal name too. This plant has been in bloom for about a month now and continues to produce buds. I've had even better color in its newer blooms so there may be more photos in the future.

No comments: