Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Coelogyne tomentosa



Coelogyne are wonderful epiphytic plants from Asia that can quickly form large specimens like the one pictured here. This plant is growing in a 12" hanging basket. I find it quite difficult to keep because I have limited space, but I found this plant at such a great price in the fall and couldn't pass it up. I was surprised and excited one morning to find this spike in bud, and it is now in full bloom. Usually a plant of this size would produce many spikes at a time, but I have just a single spike - probably because I can only provide the plant with so much light. I plan on dividing this plant in the spring so that I can save some space - since it is only producing one spike at a time anyway. Besides the flowers being so attractive, they have perhaps the most pleasing fragrance I have ever observed in an orchid, making this a desirable plant indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.