Monday, May 19, 2008

More Spring Blooms






I have a very pretty clump of daffodils that have been in a shady bed in my garden since I was a little kid. They don't tend to bloom every year; more like every other year. I will never know why (maybe it is the shade) but when they do bloom they are very beautiful. This year the clump made 7 flowers for me.
This brooding black Iris is the darkest one I have ever seen. I just bought it a couple weeks ago. The first two flowers have opened, and as they are squished together, they just look like a mass of black petals. Hopefully I will get a better photo sometime.
Pulsatilla aurea is an alpine Pasqueflower species. The leaves are lacier and less-hairy than is typical, and it has greyish yellow, smaller flowers than other types. Quite a little novelty I think.
Many of the trees in my yard are flowering now, including this chokecherry, which a friend of the family gave us many years ago as a little cutting. Now it is a huge tree, at least 15 feet tall.
Finally we have Pulsatilla vulgaris, the most commonly-seen and grown Pasqueflower species. Its velvety purple flowers never fail to impress.

No comments: