Monday, January 19, 2009

Mega Fanaticum and Something Enchanting


I know, I know... I said I was going to CUT BACK on tropical orchids, but at this weekend's OSA meeting, I couldn't resist a couple exceptional plants. Pictured are Paphs Harold Koopowitz (malipoense x rothschildianum) and Fanaticum (malipoense x micranthum). I call the latter a "Mega Fanaticum" because the flower is HUGE - 4.5" x 4.5". It is in a vase because the stem broke on the vendor's way to the meeting, but he left it there to show off the plant's potential. You can't tell by the photo, but the pouch is actually collapsing from old age. He said the flower had already been open for about a month - pretty much as long as these last.
Harold Koopowitz is an example of what I call the ultimate Paph hybrid - a Parvi x multifloral cross. Paph rothschildianum always produces the best of these kinds of hybrids. They have enormous flowers on relatively compact plants, with great color and form - what more could you ask for? These flowers are nearly 7" across!
I also bought another Phrag schlimii at that meeting, which I will likely post on later. So much for cutting back... maybe I will build that growing room after all?!

No comments: