Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Spring Clean-up


It has been mostly quite warm the past week, with above average temperatures (although we went from afternoon thundershowers the other day to morning snow yesterday), and with the snow melted and the ground thawed, I've been doing some spring clean-up around the yard, and starting work on the landscaping that I started in the fall. By the end of May I plan to have the yard completely revamped, with a new pond, and a new alpine/rockery garden. Once it's all finished, there will be little lawn left, most of it replaced with native plants and low maintenance perennials, although as one might expect from me there will be no shortage of exotic and unusual plants.
Pictured above, the main Cypripedium bed may look barren right now, but in 6 weeks time it will be full of orchids about to bloom. I can't wait!

No comments: